We talk a lot about “grace” as Christians, but what is it? Grace is the unmerited favor of God, and we do not do anything to deserve it. When you win an award for doing a particular thing with excellence, you deserve it because you did something to earn it. God’s grace is different, He shows it to us out of His great love. The Bible verses about grace we will discuss in this article will give you more insight.
The grace of God is available to anyone through Jesus Christ. When you get born again, you have God’s abundant grace to help you stand strong in your faith.
9 Bible Verses About Grace
1. The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth. – John 1:14
Jesus is full of grace, in fact, grace came by Him. This means that the grace of God is by Jesus Christ. In Christ, we receive many things we do not have to work for because they are by grace. Before salvation, you will not have grace because you have not accepted the One who is the source of it. By receiving Christ as Lord and Savior, you automatically have His grace in your life.
2. Let us then approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need. – Hebrews 4:16
When we approach God in prayer, we are seeking the power that comes by grace and we should do so confidently. In the presence of God, we do not have to strive to please Him because in Christ He sees us as holy and righteous. Prayer helps you access the grace of God to help you deal with the thing that is troubling you and making you lose peace.
3. For the grace of God has appeared that offers salvation to all people. It teaches us to say “No” to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age. – Titus 2:11-12
As Christians, we have a hard time trying to live a righteous life in this world. It is important to make the effort to avoid doing things that are ungodly. However, you do not have to do this in your strength because God’s grace is available to help you. You have heard people say that it was by God’s grace that they escaped an accident or calamity. This is because God, in His grace, will help you even when you do not see danger coming.
4. The Lord is compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, abounding in love. – Psalm 103:8
God is gracious with us when we sin, and is not out to show us His wrath. Like the loving Father He is, He shows us compassion and grace and desires that we repent instead. Under the New Covenant in Christ, we have God’s forgiveness when we repent because Christ is our mediator.
Read Also: 20 Bible Verses About Courage
5. For sin shall no longer be your master, because you are not under the law, but under grace. – Romans 6:14
When we receive Christ as Lord and Savior, we are under a New Covenant. The Old Covenant is the Law that was given to the Israelites through Moses. According to the Law, if you sinned, you deserved death, but under the covenant with Christ, you receive God’s forgiveness. God cleanses you from unrighteousness, and by His Spirit helps you live a godly life.
6. For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—not by works, so that no one can boast. – Ephesians 2:8-9
When we receive salvation through Jesus, it is by grace and not because of anything grand we have done. God’s gift of salvation is by grace, and we cannot do anything to deserve it. We cannot boast about deserving salvation because our sins deserve death but God has given us forgiveness through Jesus.
7. But He gives more grace. Therefore He says: “God resists the proud, But gives grace to the humble.” – James 4:6
For God’s grace to work in our lives, we must walk in humility like Jesus did. Pride locks us out of the grace of God because it makes us exalt ourselves above what God’s Word says. When others wrong us and we want to get back at them for causing us pain, we can instead remain humble and leave room for God to make right our situation.
8. And if by grace, then it cannot be based on works; if it were, grace would no longer be grace. – Romans 11:6
We are not to strive to do things in our strength and way when we have the grace of God to help us. When we rely on ourselves to make things happen, we are engaging in works, and not leaving room for grace to work.
9. You then, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus. – 2 Timothy 2:1
Our strength as Christians is found in the grace we have in Jesus Christ. Our strength is not sufficient to live a godly life that pleases God. We are to rely on God’s grace to carry us throughout our lives and keep us strong in faith.
More Scriptures About Grace
10. For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, being justified as a gift by His grace through the redemption which is in Christ Jesus. – Romans 3:23-24
11. Three times I pleaded with the Lord about this, that it should leave me. But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. – 2 Corinthians 12:8-9
12. He has saved us and called us to a holy life, not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace. This grace was given us in Christ Jesus before the beginning of time, but it has now been revealed through the appearing of our Savior, Christ Jesus, who has destroyed death and has brought life and immortality to light through the gospel. – 2 Timothy 1:9-10
13. But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. – Romans 5:8
14. And now I commend you to God and to the word of His grace, which is able to build you up and to give you the inheritance among all those who are sanctified. – Acts 20:32
15. But they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint. – Isaiah 40:31
16. Who saved us and called us to a holy calling, not because of our works but because of his own purpose and grace, which he gave us in Christ Jesus before the ages began. – 2 Timothy 1:9
17. The Lord be with your spirit. Grace be with you. – 2 Timothy 4:22
18. For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ. – John 1:17
19. But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To him be the glory both now and to the day of eternity. Amen. – 2 Peter 3:18
20. And with great power the apostles were giving their testimony to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus, and great grace was upon them all. – Acts 4:33
As you meditate on this Bible verses about grace above, you will never try to do things in your strength. You will always call upon His grace for the help you need. God gave us His Word to help us know the ways in which His grace flows into our lives. We can learn from the stories of others in the Bible and know what grace looks like in the life of a believer. Pray and ask God to give you an in-depth understanding of His grace and how to apply it in your life.