When two or three are gathered in God’s name, He is there. Its very important for couples to pray together. Couples praying together shows that their is unity in the marriage. Matthew 18:19-20 “Again, truly I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything they ask for, it will be done for them by my Father in heaven. For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them.”
A wise priest said that a family that prayers together, stays together.
In many relationships, one partner is usually the prayerful one and he or she prays on their own. However, if two Christians intend to get married and raise kids together, they should not be praying separately. It might feel some sort of way at first, when couples decide to start praying together, but if they become intentional about it, they will become unstoppable.
There are many benefits of couples praying together. The nine benefits below are some of the most important of tens of benefits. So, join hands together with your partner and talk to God in agreement.
1. Prayer changes people: Some people believe that prayer changes God. Nothing could be further than the truth – God never has and will never change.
Those who pray are the ones who get changed for good. When couples pray together, they get collectively changed and become in sync with each other.
This spiritual transformation manifests in the physicals and makes it easy for them to agree on things that concern their relationship or marriage.
2. Praying together increases trust between couples: When couples pray together, they expose their vulnerabilities for each other to see.
When someone gets vulnerable with another, it means that they trust the other person with their lives and secrets. Thus, with couples praying together, trust from vulnerability is built and in turn, their intimacy is strengthened, which makes their relationship more solid.
3. Praying together teaches couples to focus better on one another: While praying together, couples find out what is bothering the other. This means that they can focus on helping each other to the best of their abilities or proffering solutions that will make a difference.
4. Praying together invites God into your relationship: Ecclesiastes 4:12 rightly says that a strand of three cords is not easily broken. This applies when a couple makes God the third strand in their relationship. Such relationship can stand the test of time and prove that couples do not need human third parties to help them sort out their issues.
5. Praying together strengthens a united font: Couples who pray together are on the same team. Being on the same team means having the same or common goals. So, when couples praying together align their goals as team, they anticipate a shared result.
6. Praying together increases appreciation: God is love and knowing him with your partner will strengthen your love for each other. In fact, a study showed that among couples who prayed together and attended church together had fewer divorce rates than their counterparts who did not.
7. Couples encourage each other when they pray together: When couples pray together, they push each other to be better both individually and as a couple. This investment into each other’s lives strengthens the marriage and makes the couple invigorated to go through life with positive outlooks.
8. Praying together increases communication: Without being said, it is very difficult for people who are fighting to stay angry with each other if they pray together. Hence, prayer gives an opportunity to forgive and let go of past hurts or settle disagreements amicably.
9. Praying together offers insight to tackle issues stemming from life’s hassles: Psalms 55:22 says, ‘Cast thy burden upon the LORD, and he shall sustain thee: he shall never suffer the righteous to be moved.’ As a couple, why go outside for advice and suggestions when you and your partner can take it up to God in prayer? All you need do is join hands in fellowship and speak with one voice.